About the Champaign-Urbana Canine Connection
- We are nonprofit; our services are free. Donations to a charity of your choice are always welcome but not necessary.
- Our dogs are well-trained, have passed rigorous tests for health and stable dispositions, and are clean and pest-free.
- Handlers are well-versed on patient rights and rules of confidentiality.
- Our teams are registered members of recognized testing organizations (such as Pet Partners and Therapy Dogs International) and carry serious liability insurance (when they are working). We carry current IDs.
- The dogs generally aren’t hypoallergenic, although the poodles (and a few others) come close. Let us know if that’s an issue for you.
- We are available for both single events and recurring therapy.
- At any point in time, we have between 5 and 6 teams available.
- This is work for the dogs, even if they are just being petted. They need water, potty, and mental health breaks. One hour sessions work well; three hours is probably our limit.
- Many of our teams have regular client commitments; some have jobs, everyone is busy. Availability when you need us may be impossible.
- These are not assistance or service dogs; the American Disability Act does not apply to them. However, the dogs have been trained to work around food, in close quarters, in loud, confusing places, and in proximity to almost every unusual circumstance you can imagine. If officially invited, they will perform responsibly in places dogs are not usually permitted to go.
- Email us with any questions!